10.21.2010

While I love edibly-odd things ... tomato soup cake?

I know what you’re thinking…because I’m thinking it too.



That’s totally gross and just doesn’t sound right, but for some reason, it works. My mom swears by this cake.

I have yet had the guts to try making it, so if you happen to be rather adventurous on one cold and dark night, let me know how it goes ... unless I happen to beat you to it first, in which case I'll document my experience with some lovely photos.

Ingredients:
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. soda
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped nuts

Preparation:
Cream sugar and shortening. Add egg. Alternate sifted dry ingredients with soda and tomato soup stirred together. Add chopped dates and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees. About 30 minutes.
Best with icing made of powdered sugar, melted butter, cream and vanilla (but now would be a fine time try out one of grandma's frosting recipes I'll be posting soon!).