10.21.2010

Why I love penuche.

I have to say I’m not even close to an expert by any means on baking, but this has been a wonderful lesson in my family’s history and the history and definition(s) of the art of baking in general.

This recipe for example … I was kind of like, “what the hell is penuche?” 

So I looked it up and found out that it is candy [that] is similar to fudge in texture and softness. However, it does not contain chocolate, and it is made with brown sugar instead of white granulated sugar that is used for fondant, and as a rule, for fudge. The name also is derived from the Mexican word for "raw sugar" or "brown sugar."

I’ve included the recipe as is (as in the original), but also with my notes, since some ingredients are highly toxic if you get my drift. So without anymore rambling, here it is ... Orange Penuche.

Ingredients:
1 lb. brown sugar (see Notes 1)
3/4 cup light cream
1 tbsp. white corn syrup (see Notes 2)

1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Notes: 
1. I substitute the organic version since most commercial brown sugar is refined white sugar that has molasses mixed in, providing no additional health benefit. 2. I've figure out that I don't need to use corn syrup for this recipe. Corn syrup is a highly refined, artificial product. Dietary experts are singling out this fake syrup as one reason for the startling rise in obesity in America and related increase in diabetes. So, I use a form this recipe instead. Yah, like how they used to do it?

Preparation:
Place all ingredients, except vanilla and walnuts, in a large, heavy saucepan. Stirring constantly, heat to be be boiling, and continue cooking at 238 ° or soft ball (mixture may curdle, but beating makes it smooth). Remove from heat; let stand, without stirring, until bottom of pan feels lukewarm; stir in flavoring and walnuts, and beat with spoon until thick and creamy and surface looses its gloss. Pour into buttered 8-in. square pan. Cut into squares while warm.