10.21.2010

Why I love sweet things.

I think Christmas is the only time you can justifiably eat baked goods with frosting and not feel that bad about it....but I say screw it. Frosting has single-handedly done me in year after year (and probably responsible a few extra pounds that I end up pouting over and then struggling for the next 5 months to get rid of). Because I know this year I will more likely be saved that anguish through the "healthier" eating during my trip to Europe (wishful, delusional thinking, I know), I want to share some of my grandmother’s all time best frosting recipes, because I won’t be here to partake in the yummy goodness of it all (at least for a few weeks).

Coconut-Pecan Frosting
Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cup evaporated milk, 3 slightly beaten egg yolks, 1/2 cup butter, and 1 tsp vanilla.
Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened (about 12 minutes).
Add 1 1/2 cups coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans. Cool until at spreading consistency, beating occasionally.
Makes 2 1/2 cups.

This next recipe is one of the best frosting recipes I’ve EVER had the pleasure of enjoying. It is that good if it is done right. If it’s done wrong however, you’ll end up tasting blackened sugar…and that’s just gross.

Burnt Sugar Frosting
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup boiling water
2 tbsps butter
1/2 cup milk
dash of salt
vanilla

Preparation:
Brown 1/2 cup sugar in heavy sauce pan. Remove from heat and add boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Add remainder of sugar and milk. Mix in salt well. Bring to boil and boil without stirring to soft ball stage. Add butter and vanilla after it has cooled a few minutes (maybe 5).

Then beat until smooth. It will become a little lighter in color and loose some of its shine. Beat until spreading consistency.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted

Preparation:
In the bowl of an electric mixer, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth.